Monday, April 23, 2007

So far so good

I had another doctor's appointment today. I am 18 and a half weeks pregnant and have gained a grand total of 7 pounds. The women in my family have a history of gaining 50 - 60 pounds so 7 sounds okay to me.
We heard the heartbeat again. Last time it took several minutes for the doctor to find it. Thankfully I have a very patient doctor that I just love and he took the time to keep looking. Today, however, as soon as that doppler hit my belly we heard the baby's heartbeat loud and strong. It is a beautiful sound! The heartbeat clocked in at about 155. I asked my doctor about whether or not it was true that you could determine the sex of the baby by observing the heartbeat. He said, "Yes. Right now the heartbeat sounds like that of a girl. And that, by the way, is only true about half the time." His reply made me laugh. We aren't going to find out what we are having, but it's kind of fun to guess.
I was also glad to learn that my doctor approves of my cheap prenatal vitamins. With insurance coverage, I was still going to have to pay about $50 a month for the prescription vitamins. But over the counter prenatals are only $13 for a 3 month supply! SOLD!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

We used the generic prenatal vitamins too; in fact, our doctor recommended them over the prescription ones! Don't worry, you'll gain lots more weight before you get to meet your little baby! :)

Kara said...

Don't look too closely when they do your ultrasounds. With the first 3 kids we wanted it to be a surprise, but I spotted "something" when they were doing Tommy's ultrasound. The tech tried telling me it might be the umbilical cord coming up between the legs, but my instict was telling me otherwise. I was right!

Travis,Stephanie, Olivia & Alex said...

I agree with the generic ones ! they are just as good :) So happy to hear things are progressing well. As far as the weight thing you just never know I had problems with the pregnacy of Olivia and gained 90 pounds, the funny thing was I was REALLY sick and couldnt keep stuff down but yet gained during that time. Our bodies are goofy. But doesnt matter because it is all worth it and plus you look great !!!! For Alex only 25 and then lost all plus some when he was born, wha hoooooo :) Have you felt any movement ? Heart beat right on target for girl heee heee well atleast when I checked my card for apointments thats what liv's was running. But you never know ! I will bet a girl :) Will be fun, cant wait, so excited for you guys.

Travis,Stephanie, Olivia & Alex said...

P.S.
hold onto your hats time will go by soooooo fast, our baby will be 5 in a couple weeks. WOW !!!!!!

Heather said...

So glad to hear that you and baby are doing so well. I could also tell what my 2 where from the ultrasounds. Infact, I told the doctor that i was sure i was carrying a boy as he was doing the ultrasound. It was pretty obvious. :)

I could NEVER take and keep the prenatals down while I was pregnant so my doctor suggested 3 Flinstones a day. After comparing, they were exactly the same thing. :)

Jenny said...

Make sure you tell the ultrasound technician that you don't want to know the gender! I have a friend who really didn't want to know and the tech said, "What a handsome fellow you have!" she was pretty sad that she wasn't going to be surprised. :-) (but of course happy that their kiddo was healthy!)

I, too, couldn't take prenatals OR any other multivitamin. The problem was finally solved by downing a bowl of Total every morning instead.

glad you're doing so well! You look happy and adorable!

Anonymous said...

I knew I'd be right about this baby! I told you before that I thought it was a girl. I can already hear her saying "Aunt Sarah, I love you SOOOO much." Glad to hear your appointment went well and that the heartbeat is fast and strong. That's a blessing! Still praying for you.... talk to you soon.

love ya
Sarah