Thursday, June 07, 2007

Marriage Mentoring

The women's ministry at our church started a new Bible study tonight called "Marriage Mentoring." I can always use some work on being a better wife, so I registered for the class. I arrived about two minutes late only to find that there were no cars in the parking lot. I started to wonder if I had gone to the wrong campus (our church has six campuses). After about twenty minutes of wondering around the building, I saw several cars parked behind the church near the walk-out basement doors. I finally found the class and took my seat about twenty-five minutes after it started. One of the ladies came up to me and asked if I had the book for the class. I answered by telling her I didn't have a book because I didn't know what book we were using. She then handed me the book. It was "Created to Be His Help Meet" by Debi Pearl. I thought, "After all this hassle to find the class and we are reading a book I have already read?!?" Anyhow, I kindly told the woman that I had a copy of the book at home and did not need another one. I sat through the class wondering if I should come back next week. The class runs from June to August. After an hour or so of teaching we broke up into small groups. I found myself enjoying the discussion and decided that maybe I should go back next week. Afterall, it can't just be a coincidence that I just purchased another copy of the book several weeks ago (my first copy was put in storage by accident) and was planning on reading it again. The book has been on my shelf for some time now because I am in the middle of several other books. I can't help but wonder if God is trying to tell me that now is the time to pick it up and start reading. I expect I will be back next week for the study.
I know many of you have read the book. If you have not, I posted about it in March of 2006. You can read what I wrote by clicking here and scrolling down to the bottom of the page.

5 comments:

Kara said...

Kelly, read all you can before the baby arrives. Because let me tell you, it is NO FUN reading with toothpicks in your eyelids.

undergroundcrowds said...

I've read it, but there are a few things that I can't get passed about that couple. I've heard a sermon that her husband gave, and let's just say, we see things differently. However, the parts that I did read in the book were good, because she takes a totally selfless stand.
I don't know, I just haven't convinced myself to finish it yet.

undergroundcrowds said...

I've read PART of it.

sorry.

Kelly Glupker said...

Kara,
I've heard that before. Hopefully I can still find time to read when the baby is here. It's good for the soul

Sarah,
I am with you. I do not agree with everything the Pearls publish - and I have read just about everything they have ever published. But I sift through their material because I do think they have a lot of good ideas. You should finish the book, I think you'll be glad you did.

Karen said...

I'm with you & Sarah--don't completely agree with all that the Pearls have to offer, but the majority is right on track.