Thursday, October 18, 2007

Five Years Ago

Five years ago today Ben took me out on our first date. We went to Ruggeros - a nice Italian restaurant in Michigan. Afterward we went to a hockey game. We talked a lot and had a great time. We didn't know each other at all, other than a brief introduction. So that first date was really interesting as we spent an entire evening together without knowing each other at all. October 18 was a Friday night in 2002. It was the first of many Friday evenings we would spend together. We lived about an hour apart and both taught at Christian schools. From that first date on we saw each other every single weekend without fail. It didn't take long for us to start seeing each other just about every night of the week as well. The distance didn't matter. I remember one night we were on the phone together and I asked him what he was doing. I was secretly hoping he was on his way to my apartment. He instead replied, "I'm on my way home." I was bummed because I was really hoping he was coming over. Not long afterward there was a knock at my door and it was him! I said, "I thought you were on your way home." He answered, "Home is where your heart is." Awwww, isn't he so sweet???
We got engaged four months after that first date and married five months after that. It's hard to believe that was five years ago. A lot has changed since then, but I wouldn't change a thing.

7 comments:

Kara said...

That was so romantic!!!

Jenny LaBo said...

That was so sweet! So many times you hear the bad things going on in marriages I think it is wonderful how you always build up your husband.

Anonymous said...

Awww that was sooo sweet! This is what makes me long for it in my life! October 18th is a good day huh...my birthday...your anniversary of your first date... ;) Thanks for the bday message!

Pam said...

That was such a sweet story :) I love hearing stories like that. You and Ben were made for each other from the beginning!

Unknown said...

What a lovely story! He sounds like such a sweet heart. I can't believe you remember your first date. I know ours was sometime in September 2001 but I don't remember the date. I do remember clearly how nervous I was and that we went to supper together after church. We were an hour apart too but the distance seemed inconsequential at the time!

Matt & Nicki said...

Loved your story. . .so now I need to know how you met and who introduced you. Very Sweet!

mj said...

you notice no boys left any comments.