Saturday, January 12, 2008

No More Smoking in Louisville



Louisville just signed a ban prohibiting smoking in ANY public building. It used to be that you couldn't smoke in the mall, the hospital, or in any restaurants. I was delighted when we first moved here because I never had to worry about sitting at a nonsmoking table which was right next to a table in the smoking section. Now you can't even smoke in a bar!! I never go to the bar but I know a lot of smoking goes on there . . . or at least used to.

Nobody has to wonder what my opinion of smoking is. I hate it. I think it's terribly unhealthy and extremely gross. I don't like to be around it all. However, does this mean it should be illegal? I don't like big government and I'm wondering if this is too much government involvement. On the one hand, this ban is protecting all citizens. It's not like drinking. I can sit next to you while you drink and not jeopardize my health. But if I sit next to you while you smoke, I am getting all the affects of second-hand smoke.

In California it is illegal to smoke in your car if children are present. The adult should have the freedom to smoke. But, the defenseless child should have the freedom to be healthy. It's interesting to me that the government will come to the defense of the minor in this case, but will not protect the child's life if he is still in the womb. I'll leave that topic for another post.

Would you support a "no smoking" law in your community? Is it currently prohibited where you live? Whether it's fair or not, I'm thankful for the fresh air.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally support a smoking ban in all public places. Our county just last fall passed a referendum banning smoking in all public places & restaurants. I don't care if it's fair or not, I'm especially grateful that my kiddos' health won't be jeopardized by carcinogenic air. Now if I could just get my neighbor to stop smoking . . .

Heather said...

Illinois just went smoke free January 1st. There are no more designated areas that you can smoke in...you MUST be 15 feet away from any entrance to any building. You can't even smoke in a vehicle if it is not yours but you drive it for your employer...funny thing is i saw a cop smoking in a cop car the other day... :) Must be an exception for them. ;)

Anyway, I like the law and don't have a problem with it...espcially in reasturants. I do know that some people are unhappy about it but it is probably because it is more of an inconvience for them now to smoke...maybe they will quit.

Jenny said...

I support no smoking laws as well - we have a law in our city that bans smoking in all places except for bars. People are not supposed to smoke in areas designated public, or within 25 feet of an entrance. Unfortunately, the law is hard to enforce, and we see lots of people smoking where they (IMO) ought not be allowed.

the johnson crew said...

yes, i definitely support the no smoking laws. when i temped in Golden Valley, MN the city had the ordinance that you couldn't smoke within 30? feet of any entrance... it was so nice not to walk out the door into a puff of smoke. - when i worked downtown, and when i go downtown for various appts with amos i have to walk through a cloud of smoke at each entrance. it is so awful. plus there are cigarette butts everywhere littering the sidewalks.

amos' mom smoked while he was in the womb as well as our four other children. it often causes asthma and other respiratory problems.

Anonymous said...

"On the one hand, this ban is protecting all citizens. It's not like drinking. I can sit next to you while you drink and not jeopardize my health".....but they go out on roads and kill people when they are drunk...i personally do not like smoking...but my dad does and although nonsmokers have their rights smokers do too...and although drinking does not have an imediate affect on you...people get drunk go out and drive and then kill others, maybe a neighbor, coworker, friend? at the rate the goverment is going at now in 15 years we wont have any rights left...

Kelly Glupker said...

Anonymous,
I think understand your point. One of my concerns with this ban is that it does violate the rights of some people. For example, if a small business owner owned his own restaurant, it seems like he should be the one to decide if people can smoke. Those of us who don't like it, don't have to eat there. The government is getting way too involved in personal lives.