Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What I Am Most Thankful For

During the month of November I was challenged to post on FaceBook something that I was thankful for every single day. It was encouraging to read so many thankful posts from my friends, but eventually the novelty wore off and not everyone kept up with it. But each day as I thought of what I wanted to post I realized that I have so much to be thankful for! I am thankful for my adoring husband and delightful children. I am thankful for my health and the health of my family. I am thankful for great friends who sharpen me spiritually. I am thankful to be debt free. I am thankful for so many godly influences in my life. I am thankful for our church and the seminary. I am thankful for my job and my husband's job. I am thankful for a reliable car and a cozy home. I am thankful for coupons and free places of entertainment. And then there are always the little things to be thankful for: nap time, victory over a temptation, a good book, a close parking spot at the grocery store when I have three children ages 2 and under with me.

As I think about all that I am thankful for I am forced to face the reality that all of these things could be gone in a moment.
A few years ago a friend of mine lost her husband and she was left alone with their young children. Just last week a family in our church lost their six year old daughter. My Mom was perfectly healthy until they found cancer in her eye during a routine eye exam. The cancer eventually took her life. I know lots of people right now who are struggling with health problems.
One bad accident and I could be in debt for the rest of my life. Without any notice my husband or I could lose our jobs. I've seen this happen countless times. Our home could be gone in a flash. Just last week I watched the house across the street burn. At any time my car may not start. Friends have hurt me and will certainly do so again in the future. Memories can even be taken away if one loses his mind in old age.

So what's the point? Should I not be thankful? We should be thankful for what we have and I truly am. However these earthly things are not what I am most thankful for. These are not the things that I ultimately live for. What I am most thankful for is that which can never be taken away - my relationship with Jesus Christ. Jesus is the only confidence I have, my only true security. He is the only One who will never leave me or forsake me. He is the only One who cannot let me down. And because I have a relationship with Him, because He has given me new life, I will spend eternity with Him. Eventually I will lose everything on this earth. But I will never lose Christ, my salvation is sure.

"If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory." Colossians 3:1-4

0 comments: