Monday, January 25, 2010

Continually Being Sharpened

I like to blog. I like to record the goings on of my family and I like to read about the happenings of the people I care about. It's fun to read about the cute little things kids do and it's exciting to hear about a great deal that somebody found and chose to share with the rest of us. My blogging friends share recipes, give child training suggestions, recommend good books and write about how wonderful life is. Some are a little more transparent in their writings than others, but all have great stories to tell. But sometimes reading other people's blogs can be a kick in the pants. Sometimes I read a post and walk away feeling like I have some major issues. Some people can (in a single post) offend me, challenge me, convict me, encourage me and get me fired up to be different. I am truly thankful for these kinds of posts and the people who write them. This is on my mind because of these blogs posts that I have read in recent days.


This post by Jenny Muth was a real encouragement to me. I really appreciated her transparency and her willingness to share her struggles. We ALL have these struggles, we just aren't all willing to confess them and seek accountability.
Karen shared in this post about how she was challenged from Romans chapter 1 to keep her temple clean and how it is a constant battle for her. I can certainly relate to this. I have lots of cleaning to do and it was a good reminder to me that I'm not alone.
And Shyla posted about living this life deliberately which really convicted me! And since reading this post I have made some major changes in my own life in an effort to be deliberate.

After reading these posts (which I recommend you do) I began to think. I know some good people. I mean, really good people. I have heard others mention that they do not have any Christian friends, or at least not very strong Christian friends. I don't have this problem. I know several godly women who daily seek God, honor and love their husbands and biblically train their children. I have some friends who send me emails or call me to ask me one question, "Are you spending time with the Lord?" I don't find this to be intrusive or nosey. I welcome these kinds of questions because I need them. I am thankful to have these women in my life. Though their posts may sometimes frustrate me, it's the kind of frustration I need. I need to be motivated to grow, to change, to be sanctified. I should not be satisfied with where I am in my walk. I praise God that I have these women, and others, who can challenge and encourage me.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17

2 comments:

Jenny said...

It is good to be sharpened, isn't it? I was having similar thoughts - so blessed to have met so many great people at college and to be able to keep in touch via the internet. God is gracious. Thanks for sharpening me, too!

Ironically, my word verification is "hones" HMMM, weird.

Shelby said...

Thanks for sharing Kelly.