Monday, August 22, 2011

Vacation Bible School: Owen's First Year

Although Owen was a couple weeks shy of being four years old, he was able to participate in Vacation Bible School for the first time. He LOVED it. He thought the puppets were "so, so funny Mom!" Each day he came home and explained in detail what he learned at "PBS." He is still singing the songs he learned and reciting one of the Bible verses, "You are the Christ . . . the Son of the Living God!"
The theme was FasCar: Rev it Up Full Throttle for God (or something close to that). Owen likes cars so it worked out well for him. One day the kids were told they could dress up for a day at the races and get their picture taken. Owen dressed up as a race car driver. He was the only kid I saw who took the challenge to dress up very seriously. I hoped he wouldn't be embarrassed that he stood out so much but he didn't even seem to notice. He was just excited to be in his costume and get his picture taken with a real race car.


Owen with the race car

Owen with the medal he earned for attendance and scripture memory.

While I enjoy having Owen home with me and missed him while he was gone, I was surprised how much I accomplished being down one child. Owen is my oldest and easiest kid and yet I felt so freed up having him gone. I couldn't believe it! The girls and I ran errands and went shopping every morning during VBS. It certainly made me understand why some parents are so excited about having their kids start school. I felt like I had so much extra time on my hands. Don't misunderstand me. I love having Owen home with me and I'm excited for us to start homeschooling this year. But there is a small side of me that says, "Wow! Sending him to school would be a really nice break!"

2 comments:

Katie said...

Cute! We didn't participate in VBS last summer or this year, but it is fun!

today was Luke's first day of school, and even though he is my oldest, in some ways he is my most difficult, so I'm really going to experience an increase in my productivity,and THAT I like!

Phil Luter said...

Cool outfit. I would have loved something like that when I was a kid.