Monday, September 26, 2011

Our First Two Weeks of School

We are in the beginning of week 3 of homeschooling and Owen is loving it! He has learned three Bible verses, my phone number, facts about winter and spring, the days of the week and the first six months of the year. He's learning about jobs people do, he's participating in critical thinking drills, and practicing writing. We've discussed and memorized the definitions to the words attentiveness, faith and generosity. These are just the highlights. It's so exciting for me to watch him learn!
Because I am his teacher I have the joy of seeing him understand things for the first time and witness him use his new knowledge at appropriate times. For example, one evening outside of school time I was talking to him and when I could tell I didn't have his full attention I said, "Owen, listen to me." He quickly replied, "Proverbs 4:20, 'My son, be attentive to my words, incline your ear to my sayings.'"
When he saw a picture of snow in one of his books he quickly explained to me that snow falls when the clouds freeze and turn to ice. It's so exciting to see him "get it."
My heart is thrilled when he cheers as I announce that it's time to start school. And of course it's always encouraging to hear him say, "Mama, let's do more school!"
And then there are those sweet, precious moments like the one we had our first week of school when I introduced our Bible verse for the week. I told him that we were going to be hiding God's Word in our heart. He replied, "Why, Mama? Who is trying to steal it?" He sure does take things literally! But it was a good opportunity for me to share with him the importance of having God's Word memorized.
Last week Owen took it upon himself to set up three chairs on the back patio and suggested that we do school outside since it was such a nice morning. So we did! Just another one of the many advantages of learning at home.

Owen uses this little chalkboard to practice writing his letters. It's so neat to see the progress he has made in just two short weeks!

Aubrey wanted to showcase her artwork.

We talked about the Flood during Bible time one day last week. Afterward Owen made his own rainbow, a reminder of God's promise to never flood the earth again.

On Friday we review the Bible lessons from the week. This last Friday we went outside and I used sidewalk chalk to color three difference scenes and had Owen tell me what story I was drawing. Then we reviewed the story and the lesson we learned from it. The above drawing is when sin entered the earth.

The Flood


I also drew a picture of Cain killing Abel. Thankfully (since I'm not good at drawing!) Owen was able to identify all of the characters and retell the stories in his own words.

And he also practiced writing his name

1 comments:

Jeanna said...

Yay! So happy you are enjoying homeschooling and that Owen is too. Looks like he has a good teacher :) Homeschooling is so rewarding. Looks like Sonlight was a good fit for you!