Thursday, October 13, 2011

Owen's First Chapter Book



Two weeks ago I began reading Charlotte's Web to Owen. We finished it tonight and I think it's safe to say that he loved every single one of the 184 pages in the book. Each day he begged me to read more. Tonight I let him stay up past bed time so that we could read the last three chapters. He hung on every word and I could see the emotion in his face when we read about Wilbur fainting, Charlotte dying and the baby spiders being born. I'm amazed how much a four year old can understand! Tonight as I tucked him into bed he asked if he could pray first. He started his prayer with, "Dear God, thank you SO MUCH for protecting and saving Wilbur." I sure do love his innocence, and his sweetness. He has such a tender heart.

Tomorrow, as a reward for finishing the book, we will be watching the movie, Charlotte's Web. Owen is so excited! Popcorn and a movie - that's his kind of treat.


Have I mentioned how much I enjoy home schooling?

Now that we are finished with our first chapter book I think it's time to start another. Any suggestions on what would be a good age appropriate book to read next?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

We had a VERY similar experience with Charlotte's Web! The old Disney movie version is really cute and we had a little movie-watching party when we were done with the book too. Super fun!

I can't think of a good one off the top of my head for you to do next. I'll post on your FB wall if I think of a good one!

Darlene Schacht said...

You are creating incredible memories!So reminded of my dad when I was young and how he would do fun things with us.

Kelly Glupker said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading the Boxcar Children. The first book was the best. : )

Amy Hager

suzanne said...

Boxcar Children is my vote, too. Gavin loved that one. Reading chapter books is my favorite part of homeschooling. We have books assigned in our curriculum and we blow through them WAY before we are "scheduled" to. I think we'll be done with this portion of our curriculum by January if we keep it up!

Kelly Glupker said...

I now have the boxcar children. Thank you for the recommendation!
Suzanne, I remember you blogging about "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons." Did you like it? Did it work well? I just bought it and thought of you.