Saturday, December 03, 2011

Operation Christmas Child

Am I the only one who cringes every time a well meaning stranger asks my kids, "What do you want for Christmas?" My kids do not see commercials or look at toy magazines. So far, I've never asked them what they want for Christmas - and I hope I never do. I spend every waking moment with them. I know them. I have a close relationship with them. I know what things they like and what things would excite them. But more than that, I do not want to communicate to them that Christmas is about getting stuff. Christmas is not about them. This is not to say that I will not buy them gifts. But because they are not expecting anything, I suspect Christmas morning will be that much more exciting for them.

If you've never heard of or participated in Operation Christmas Child let me encourage you to get involved. It's simple. You pick a shoe box and fill it with toys and gifts for a child of any gender or age and it gets mailed to a child who lives in poverty in a third world nation. It is a great way to encourage your children to give. This year Aubrey picked out gifts for a two year old girl and Owen filled a box for a four year old boy. We stuffed the boxes with the same toys my kids like: play doh, bubbles, stuffed animals, plastic animals, jump ropes, balls, notebooks, pencils, crayons, and trains. Then we threw in some extras that mom and dad might appreciate: bath soap, toothpaste and toothbrushes. My kids loved going to the store and picking items out for other children. Operation Christmas Child blesses another child across the world and at the same time teaches your children how to love and give to others. It's a win-win.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Molly and Evan packed boxes for Operation Christmas Child this year too. We're looking forward to making this a yearly tradition.

I just wanted to post a quick comment because if you haven't dropped off your boxes yet, I'm pretty sure you need to pull out the bubbles. I don't think you can send any kind of liquid.

Kelly Glupker said...

I thought of that after I had stuffed the boxes and delivered them. :/ Hopefully it wasn't a problem!