Friday, March 23, 2012

Owen's Reading Lesson

Owen read the following story to me this morning:


The White Tooth Brush

A girl liked to brush her teeth. She had a white tooth brush that she liked. But she did not see her white tooth brush. She looked for it. She said to her mother, "Where is my white tooth brush?" Her mother said, "I do not have it."
The girl was walking back to her room when she fell down. She fell over her dog. That dog was brushing his teeth with her white tooth brush.
The girl said, "You have my white tooth brush."
The dog said, "I like teeth that shine like the moon."
When the girl looked at the dog's teeth, she smiled. Then the dog smiled. The girl said, "We have teeth that are white, white, white."
The dog said, "We have teeth that shine like the moon."

The End

We are at Lesson #73 in the program, "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons." By the time he finishes lesson #100 he is supposed to be reading at a second grade level. I don't have any other curriculum to compare this program to but I really do like it. This is the first time I've ever taught a child to read so I admit I have no experience. But my 4.5 year old son loves it and he's doing great. When he read the above story he paused periodically to laugh. He's not only reading, but he's comprehending!

1 comments:

Our Family said...

I love teaching my kids to read. Such a blessing to be the first one to read a "real" book with them. Great job mom!!