Friday, March 10, 2006

Created to Be His Help Meet

I have recently heard that a few of you out there are currently reading, or have read, "Created to Be His Help Meet" by Debi Pearl.
I read this book last November and thoroughly enjoyed it. Debi Pearl has a very unique way of explaining the scriptures and challenging women to be the wives God created them to be. I highly recommend it! You can order a copy at www.nogreatjoy.org. My copy is currently in Munising, Michigan with Brooke Franklin.
Being a man's wife is a high calling! I have seen far too many women destroy their homes and make their husbands miserable because they do not fulfill their role the way God intended. It is prudent for us as women to prepare now to be good wives and mothers. It is never too early to begin. As Elisabeth George said "Success is when preparation meets opportunity." Whether you are married or not, prepare to be a wife. Whether you are a mother or not, prepare to be a mother.
Speaking of motherhood, the Pearls have a ministry called "No Greater Joy." This ministry is based upon the verse that says "there is not greater joy than to see that your children walk in truth." They specialize, if you will, on child training. Their most famous book is "To Train Up a Child" by Mike and Debi Pearl. It has been a contoversial book, so as with any reading material, compare it with scripture and allow the Holy Spirit to lead you in your decision making. I visit their website often. I find it to be very enlightening as well as challenging. They also have a free bi-monthly newsletter that you can sign up for.
As a teacher I speak with parents often. You would be amazed at how little preparation and planning people go through to raise their kids. We go to college to have a career, we go through training at the work place to do our job well, we take a driving test to get a license, but so often we don't prepare to be wives and mothers. This is by far the highest calling or "career" a woman can have. I strongly urge all women to prepare for that role, master it, and do your best in it. I believe it is true that a virtuous woman is hard to find. I also believe that working to be that kind of woman has eternal value. "Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her." (Proverbs 31:28)What an amazing thought!
If you have not yet memorized Proverbs 31:10-31 - I challenge you to do so. My first year of teaching I had all my female students memorize it. It was quite a growing time as we dialogued about the passage. Surround yourself with God's Word and other great pieces of writing that will steer you in the direction God wants you to be in. Allow the older women to teach us "younger women" to love our husbands and children.
I have other great books that I have read and plan to comment on them later.
Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Shyla said...

Holy schamales Kelly!
I click onto your website everyday to see if you're still alive and then today i did it out of habit and WOW! You really changed things up! It looks great! And a PICTURE!!! Congratulations!! What a cute couple! :)
I am currently reading "Created to be His helpmeet" as well. I am really enjoying it.
Well, have a wonderful weekend and WELCOME BACK! :)

Kelly Glupker said...

Shyla,
Thanks for the big "hoorah." :) I am glad you are reading the book - I recommend it to everybody. I always give books as gifts when couples get engaged. It used to be "The 5 Love Languages," "His Needs, Her Needs," "Sheet Music" or "The Power of a Praying Couple." All of these are great books but I think "Created to Be His Helpmeet" is the new book I would like to start giving away. It is so challenging and convicting. I have also watched some of the DVDs the Pearls have produced. Since you are about to enter into the world of parenthood, you should check out their book "To Train Up a Child."