Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day!


Because Ben has to work tonight, he surprised me last night with a date. He took me out to eat at this fabulous Chinese restaurant - which is a real sacrifice for him considering he doesn't care for Chinese. Afterward he gave me the sweetest Valentine's Day card and a couple of gifts. He gave me a really nice leather journal and a new Irish hymns C.D. He's so sweet! I am just glad he didn't give me flowers and candy!!!
During dinner he reminded me that four years ago today he asked me to marry him. Valentine's Day was on a Friday that year and the teacher who taught next door to me asked me if I thought I would get a ring for Valentine's Day. I had only known Ben for less than 4 months so I did NOT think I would get a ring! Well, sure enough, after dinner and a night out, Ben took me back to the place where we had first been introduced. It was a classroom at Grace Christian School. It was the same room where he had accepted Christ as his Savior, the room where we had first met, and the room where he asked me to marry him. I of course said, "YES!"
We surprised a lot of people with our engagment announcement, mainly because we had just started dating. Most of my students didn't even know I had a boyfriend so they were shocked when I came to school on Monday with a big ring on my hand. I remember the boys trying to count all of the diamonds on the sides and the girls wanting to stare at it.
Four years later I am married to my best friend and have an awesome relationship with the man of my dreams. He has made my life richer in so many ways. I love Ben more today than I did 4 years ago. I suspect I will love him more 4 years from now as we continue to draw closer together and experience the wonderful marital unity that God intends for couples.
I hope you're enjoying your Valentine's Day with your sweetheart!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw saw the bookcase Ben was building you for Christmas I told Casey "She's the one!" And I love to say I was right! Happy Valentines's Day Ben and Kelly! Kara

Kelly Glupker said...

Kara,
I remember when he gave me the bookcase. My first thought was, "This guy must be serious!" He actually made it for my birthday which was in November - only a month after our first date!! He sure didn't waste any time. :)

Unknown said...

What a romantic guy you married! I hadn't ever heard your engagement story, how beautiful!

That's weird, Matt made me a bookcase while we were dating too. Guess some guys show their love through wood. :)

Matt's got a snow day today so I am relishing in his presence at home today. Ahhh.

Anonymous said...

Today for some people is "single awareness day". But I'm sure I'll be spending some good quality time with Hallie.

Kelli said...

What a neat Valentine's Day story! Glad you had a wonderful date with your husband.

Jenny LaBo said...

I remember Ben annoncing that you guys were engaged, in church that Sunday night. Then the next day while I was at work I was on instant messanger with Casey. He asked what I thought of the news and you. I said I really didn't talk to you much but you were very pretty and I was excited to get to know you more...and how happy I was...blah blah blah. Anyway it was Ben talking to me. He and Casey were trying to be funny.

Kelly Glupker said...

Alicia,
What a coincidence!

Korey,
Who the heck is Hallie?

Jenny,
I had never heard that story! How funny. Thanks for sharing.

the johnson crew said...

what a beautiful story. i want to see your ring.