Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Hiding Place






I left school early on Friday due to an appointment I had at 2:30. I don't like to waste time in a waiting room by simply sitting, so I like to have something to do or read. As I was rushing out the door, I stopped by Dr. Balty's classroom. He is one of our high school English teachers. I told him I needed a book to read and asked if I could grab one off his shelf. He handed me The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom and I was out the door. Because I ended up not having to wait at all, I didn't crack the book open until about 8:30 a.m. on Saturday when I was proctoring standardized tests at school. I quickly discoverd that I could not put the book down. I finished it this evening, despite the fact that I have a lot of housework and school work to do.
The Hiding Place is the true life story of Corrie Ten Boom (pictured above). She was the youngest of four children born to a watchmaker in Holland. Her life was spent serving people. During World War II when the Nazi's occupied Holland, she opened her home to Jewish people. She and her sister Betsie were never married and still lived at home with their aging father. They were in their 50's when Germany took over. Corrie was the head of an underground operation and was responsible for rescuing hundreds of Jews. In her home, she had a secret room (pictured above) built in which she could hide the people during a sudden raid. The room was behind a brick wall - a fake wall - and never discovered.
When the Nazi's did raid their home, Corrie, her three siblings, and her father were all taken into custody while all of the Jews were safely hidden and protected. Her father died 10 days after being taken into the camp. One of her sisters was released, as was a brother but he died shortly thereafter due do an illness he picked up in the camp. Betsie also died in the camp - just weeks before she would have been released. Corrie was released after spending close to 11 months in custody.
As I read the book, I found myself hating the wicked people who dealt so cruelly with thousands of innocent people. I have seen the real footage and videos of these camps. I even showed them to my U.S. History class a few years ago. I have read the books, looked at the horrific pictures, and visited the museums. Yet, this book made it all seem so much more real. I was reading the words of a woman who endured it herself. What amazed me the most was her constant love for the people who abused her. She continued to pray for them and minister to the other prisoners. She did not look out for herself. When she received two disgusting meals a day - she shared them with those who were sick. She gave up her thin blanket in the cold winter nights. She picked off the lice and fleas from those she lived with. She saved the medicine for others and gave up her soap when she hadn't had a bath in two months. Each night she spent praying for others and teaching them about the love of Christ, while she so clearly demonstrated it. It was amazing to read how God always provided her with a Bible and took care of her every need. He even gave her opportunities to share the gospel with prison guards!!! Time and again she recorded some of the awesome things God did while she was in prison - miraculous things!
Corrie's faith in Christ was astounding. It was real. It was practiced. It was evident. It has caused me to examine my own faith. How real is it? How would I react in the face of such difficulty? Would my faith withstand such hardships?
If you have never read this book - you should. It's been around for a few decades, I'm just a little behind.
And now, with only a couple hours left of my evening, I need to do some school work, wash some clothes, unload the dishwasher, vacuum . . . But taking the day to read this book was well worth it.

18 comments:

Heather said...

I had to read this book in our 11th grade English class. Great Book!!

Travis,Stephanie, Olivia & Alex said...

Great book, I read it in High School and also College ! Movie was good too !!!

Pam said...

I too enjoy that book. I have the kids version for Hannah to read someday. I hope she enjoys it like I did.

Pam said...

I too enjoy that book. I have the kids version for Hannah to read someday. I hope she enjoys it like I did.

Anonymous said...

I used to read that book over and over and over again! I liked the movie, too.

Phil Luter said...

I will add my endorsement of this book. I read it years ago. If you have ever heard this lady speak, you will agree she is a great encouragement to us all.
She was at one time an attender at Chuck Swidolls church and he refers to her several times in his books.

christina said...

my gramma made me read this book (and another i can't remember right now) when i was younger. i loved it, as well as the other. the hiding place was obviously more memorable. :)

Kelly Glupker said...

My goodness! I guess I am behind in reading this book. Is there anybody who HASN'T read it? I was telling my students about it today and almost all of them had read it too. I will have to watch the movie after so many of you recommended it.

the johnson crew said...

that does sound like a book i will need to read. thanks for sharing.

Jenny LaBo said...

I haven't read it yet. I think I am going to have to now! It sounds really good.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read it either. i'm almost done with The Last Sin Eater by Francine Rivers. I think everyone has read that, too. Kara

Chris said...

Kelly, I haven't read this either.

Kelly Glupker said...

Kara,
The Last Sin Eater is GREAT! I loved that book!

Pam said...

I'm just now reading the Last Sin Eater, I can't wait for the movie!

Jenny LaBo said...

Wait there is a movie coming out?! I love that book!

Sarah Glupker said...

Kelly,
I reread this book about a year ago and took it to work with me so I could read it on the rare occasion I had a 'peaceful' break. I thought Corrie was very real and transparent with all of her emotions throughout the Nazi occupation, and her eventual imprisonment. Nothing was more poignant to me than her description of coming across Betsy's body in the 'morgue.' I know I cried...I remember crying because her description was so vivid, you could picture the place and feel the emotion of it all as if you were right there with her. I can't remember...did she have a cat named Moortje? Or was that Anne Frank? I almost named Wentworth that name!(thought it was unique). Hope all is well in Louisville.

love,
Sarah

Kelly Glupker said...

Pam,
There is a movie coming out?!?! When!? Is it going to be in the theaters? I want to see it!

Sarah,
Corried did have a cat, but I don't remember the name of it. The name you mentioned does not ring a bell. Leave it to you to remember the cat! :)
Corrie was indeed very transparent. She was honest with her human reactions and emotions throughout the whole ordeal. She confessed her "sinful" (if I should call it that) behavior, whereas she described Betsie as a true saint.
The book challenged me on many levels.

Unknown said...

Never read it but thanks for the recommendation. I didn't really read your entire summary as I'd like to read it myself. Sounds like a good easy read when I need to unwind. Thanks for the idea!