Saturday, April 28, 2007

Class Gathering

Last night we went to Dr. Gentry's home. Dr. Gentry is one of the best Hebrew teachers (maybe THE best) Southern Seminary has. Ben is finishing his second Hebrew class with him. It is amazing to me that these guys can actually translate verses from Hebrew into English. It all looks like scribble to me. Anyhow . . .
Dr. Gentry had a class gathering last night where we enjoyed snacks and the wives all got to meet each other. It was very enjoyable. We then sat around and watched our men play Hebrew Scrabble (Alicia Horn will appreciate that). I of course, was of no help.
We were there for a few hours and as we left I was reminded of how blessed we are to be here. Most people doing graduate level work do not have the privilege of really getting to know their professors and build a relationship with them. By the time the night was over, Dr. Gentry was talking to me about my job and Mrs. Gentry was inviting me back on Monday night so she can teach me how to sew. It was great!

6 comments:

Ben said...

In the interest of full disclosure, it should be pointed out that the Hebrew Scrabble players were allowed to look for words in Hebrew lexicons for help(we don't know that many words yet!)

Also, for any Veihls who might read this, it should be noted that, as neat as Hebrew scrabble is, it is not quite neat enough to be played on a 360 degree rotating board, which is the ONLY way to really play scrabble.

Kelly Glupker said...

Ben,
I just called you and you didn't pick up. I see you are "busy" at work. Love you.

Kara said...

Hi Glupkers-
Kelly, I miss hemming your pants.
Ben, My husband lost scrabble today to Rob Owens girlfriend. Only by a couple points, though. And we didn't even get to use a rotating board. I came in 3rd, and Mrs. B. came in 4th. I will have pictures on my blog later tonight.

Unknown said...

Hebrew scrabble?!? Who knew there was such a thing! Sounds like a great way to apply what you've learned though. What were the high scores? :)

Matt is in a totally secular phd program and I can assure you, the relationships he has with his profs are not the same as what you guys have there at Louisville. Matt's relationships are completely academic and scholarly - there's no soul or fellowship involved. That's why we're so looking forward to his degree completion so he can get a job at a Christian college somewhere and have that fellowship of colleagues!

mj said...

Hey i promise you my blog is updated, check it out.

Unknown said...

How cool is it that you found a mentor type lady to teach you to sew!!!! I wish I had someone like that to help me out. I'll have to just be patient until my mom-in-law comes to visit this summer.