Thursday, April 26, 2007

Just my luck

This week my school has been going through the process of getting our accredidation renewed. This means a lot of work for a lot of people. Thankfully, a lot of the work was done in the last few years so I missed it! The one thing I had to go through was the observation that takes place. The team of nine professionals spent a few days in and out of the classroom observing the curriculum and the teaching methods. Foolishly, I thought, "I'm not going to worry about that." Why did I think I shouldn't worry? Well, truth be told, I don't really get that nervous when I am observed. The main reason why I don't worry is because most people who have been outside of math classes for several years, have NO idea what is going on in my classroom. If you are not in a math related field, then you're probably going to be lost if you come into my room in the middle of a lesson. So how will the observer know if I'm good or not? So I don't spend time worrying about it. Until of course, my supervisor came in to see me before school on Tuesday morning. She asked if I knew who was observing me that day. I told her who it was and she said something like, "Bummer. You know who she is, don't you? She is an A.P. Calculus teacher." I thought, "You have to be kidding me!!" But she wasn't. Sure enough a couple of hours later, Ms. Calculus herself came into my junior math class, Algebra II. I surprised myself when I realized half way through that it didn't bother me that she was in the room. She left her observations on my desk and gave me a nice report. I was happy. I guess my luck wasn't so bad afterall.

8 comments:

Kara said...

Oh Kelly, I wish I could have the confidence that you exude. Even if you were nervous you probably wouldn't show it.

Chris said...

When you're good, your're good!!

Kelly Glupker said...

Kara,
I must not show it when I'm nervous, because you are not the first person to describe me as "confident." Yet, I don't see myself as that. Go figure.

Chris,
I don't know that I would say I'm good, but I can pretend! :) Did you notice Ben updated his blog finally?

Chris said...

NO WAY!! I gotta check that out!!

Unknown said...

That's awseome! I got observed twice in the same lesson, but it went pretty well!
I don't know if it's the same for you--but i know since it hasn't been a huge amount of time since college, that you get so used to being observed!

Unknown said...

Glad Ms. Calculus liked you! Other math teachers are usually supportive. Yuck, I've been through accreditation preparations before and it's insane. Thank the Lord you missed all the prep. work! are you planning to teach next year?

Heather said...

WOW!! Good for you. I don't think I would have handled that nearly as well as you did!!!

Kelly Glupker said...

Alicia,
I am not planning on teaching next year. The school is currently looking for a replacement for me. Financially speaking, I have NO IDEA how are are going to swing it. We will now have to buy our own insurance and of course lose out on a boat load of money. However, we feel very strongly that I should be home with our children. Though it may be hard, I can't imagine I would regret the decision to be a full time Mom.