Monday, May 21, 2007

A little bit of freshman fun

On Friday morning I walked into my classroom. I was surprised to find the door unlocked and the lights on. I was even more surprised to find one of the freshman guys standing on a chair hanging streamers from the ceiling all by himself. The kids are never at school that early so I was certainly taken off guard. Apparently the kids weren't expecting me either and so they asked me to leave. I quickly discovered that my fourth hour Algebra I class threw me a little party on Friday afternoon. They had cake, cookies, drinks, games, balloons, and a gift. They put all of this together the night before! I joked with them that they were just trying to get out of having class because I NEVER have "free" days in my classroom. Regardless of their motive, I felt pretty special. I will certainly miss being a teacher. Here are some pictures of the party:
This isn't the class that threw me the party, which is why they are taking a test.
I thought these signs were so sweet - and of course the girls had to give me some name suggestions.
Apparently freshman aren't so bad afterall.

It annoys some of them that we won't find out what we are having.

They even had games to play. They had to guess how many squares of toilet paper would go around my stomach. One of the guys guessed 36!!!
One of the boys told me he went looking for balloons for me. With the most serious look on his face he said, "All of the balloons said either 'it's a girl' or 'it's a boy.' I tried to find one that just said, 'it's a kid' but I couldn't find one, Mrs. Glupker." I laughed so hard!



One of my freshman boys had his dad make this cake for me! Keep in mind that this party was planned the night before. What a dad!

11 comments:

Kara said...

Wow I never liked my math teachers that much.
Finally, a new belly picture, it's been like 2 weeks!

Abby doesn't feel like sleeping right now, so thanks for giving me something to do. :)
Pretty soon you'll be blogging in the middle of the night, too! How exciting!!

Shannon Smith said...

What a special thing for your students to do for you! Looks like you all had great fun!

the johnson crew said...

kelly, that is so awesome!!! happy baby! so precious. i am glad you had lots of pictures. you must be a wonderful teacher.

janelle

Kelli said...

That must have been a really special party. What a good group of kids to put that together for you. You look great! I can't wait to see baby Glupker!!

christina said...

that's so sweet! what a great bunch of kids...

btw...you've been tagged. :) check my blog. mwahahahaha

Unknown said...

WOW! Those kids are so sweet and kind! What a fun time and what an extra special blessing for you as a teacher. It's not often that those emotions from your students spill over that way. What an encouragement!

How many more days of school do you have?

Pam said...

That cake is so sweet, and a Dad!! I can't see James even making a cake let alone decorating it.

Kelly Glupker said...

Alicia,
This Friday is my last day of school!!!!

undergroundcrowds said...

that is fun. so you're done for awhile, huh?

pamela s said...

Your class was so kind to do this for you. Looks like they did well for last minute!
You'll remember that for a long time! Hope your last week goes quickly!

Jenny LaBo said...

Yeah Kelly!!!!
That was so sweet of your students.