Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I figured out Korey's problem

Each month we get the Reader's Digest, compliments of Ben's Aunt Judy. This months issue had an article entitled, "Are You Normal or Nuts?" In this article the writer describes a condition that many people across America have. It is called Arithmomania and I am convinced my brother has it. Arithmomania is a disorder (isn't everything a disorder today?) that shows itself in people who have an obsessive complusion to count things. If you know Korey, you know he counts EVERYTHING! I remember one year sitting around a camp fire where we were teasing Korey about his counting obsession. To prove our point, we asked him, "Korey, how many floor tiles are on the bathroom floor in the camp restroom?" He immediately gave us the exact number. We said, "Korey, how many steps is it to the mailbox from the front door at home?" He quickly told us. Another question, "Korey, how many steps to Kim's house?" He knew exactly how many steps. Even when he was younger he would count things. He used to time himself to do his homework, check the mail, wash the dishes. When he was really little Kim and I would ask him to go do something. He of course would say "no." But as soon as we offered to time him, he would quickly jump up and do whatever we asked. It was great!
So, Korey - did you notice how many squares are on my bathroom floor when you visited a couple months ago?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats pretty funny. Thanks for announcing to the world that I'm retarded. As crazy as this is I DON'T know the number of tiles in your bathroom. But with my experience I could probably give you a very good estimate. Its a good thing that I never told you and Kim about some of my other quirks. (you know the ones that I only told Jaclyn) You two would really think I was a freak then. I'm not sure if you realize how much I actually annoy myself. Like how my left foot has to always be the odd numbers. Or how when going up steps I have to start with my left. Or how in the middle of a conversation with someone I'll have a number in my head and have no idea where it came from. Or how I can't leave the urinal until I've counted the tiles on the wall. (was that to much information?) Anyways, I'm gonna think of some weird quirks that you have and post them in my next comment. lol Love ya

Pam said...

Korey's not alone. Little James has the same little "quirks" and Korey we don't think he's retarded at all!!
He left Saginaw church Sunday and told us how many wchairs in the gym, the hall and so on. :)

christina said...

oh, that's too much! what a funny obsession.

Ben said...

korey,

i'm looking forward to your post about kelly's quirks.

undergroundcrowds said...

that's hilarious and weird, but the 'quirk' must be good for something.

Unknown said...

Sounds just like the Harold Crick character in the movie "Stranger than Fiction". Have you seen that?

Anyways, sounds like math brains run in your family!

Chris said...

Korey,
I remember sitting around that fire and hearing you tell us how many tiles are on the floor. That was pretty crazy!! I also am looking forward to hearing about Kelly's quirks!!

Katie said...

You've been tagged, Kelly! Check my blog.