Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Perfect Pregnancy . . . Until Now

I have been terrible about updating my blog, but as I surf the internet I realize that many of you haven't been blogging much either. I now have a lot of time on my hands and I suspect you'll be finding lots of posts from me over the next few weeks. Here's why:
Yesterday I went to the doctor's office for my regular appointment. As many of you know, I have had a terrible problem with swelling from the knees down for the last 3-4 weeks or so. My doctor and I have discussed this and he felt that it was mostly due to the fact that the heat in Kentucky this summer has been horrible and I am adjusting to it for the first time as well as adjusting to being pregnant for the first time. So, we thought nothing of it. Over the last week, however, the skin on my feet and legs has become really tight. It hurts to squat or do anything physically that would cause this skin to pull. Bending down, lifting my legs, and other small movements really hurt the skin because my legs are so swollen. If you were to push your finger on my leg or foot, it will leave a huge indent. It's bad. I don't have any stretch marks (yet) but I was beginning to wonder if it was possible to get stretch marks on your feet!
Two weeks ago my doctor noticed that I had gained six pounds since my previous appointment. He said with certainty that it was all due to the swelling. Yesterday, he said I had gained 9 pounds between appointments and again, he felt that it was all due to the swelling. My arms are their normal size, my belly is not huge, my face isn't even really puffy, it's just from the knees down. My blood pressure was checked and it wasn't good. My blood pressure has been great until yesterday's appointment. Then came the urine sample which also came back not good. It was filled with protein. Most of you probably know where this is headed. That's right - I am on the road to preeclampsia. At this point my doctor has not officially diagnosed me, but he said with confidence that that is the road I am traveling down. He said that women with my blood pressure, protein loss, and swelling end up with preeclampsia - he's just catching it before it's already there.
SO . . . I am now on bed rest. Yesterday was my last day of work and I have been ordered to keep my feet up. I will spare you all the details regarding what tests and labs we are doing over the next couple of days, but on Monday I should be getting the results of those tests back. I also have an ultrasound scheduled for Monday morning to make sure Baby Glupker is doing okay. I am still feeling a lot of movement which is a good sign.
Unfortunately, my hopes and dreams of an all natural pregnancy may not be a reality at this point. My doctor already told me that he won't let me go full term because it's too dangerous for the baby. He will be seeing me at least twice a week to check my blood pressure and protein levels and from there decide when to induce. I also may have to have a c-section because it is possible that a vaginal birth would be too much stress and pressure on someone with high blood pressure. A c-section isn't a guarantee, so please pray that I can deliver vaginally!
In the meantime, you can all start updating your blogs so that I have something to read while I lay around at home!

20 comments:

Kelli said...

Wow, Kelly...It sounds like you are going through a lot. I will keep you in my prayers and pray for your health and for the health of the baby. I know it must be hard to rest, but soon enough you will be holding your sweet baby in your arms wishing you could get some rest.

Shannon Smith said...

Kelly,
So sorry to hear about all the problems you are having. I will be praying for you.

christina said...

oh, boy. what a bummer. but i'm glad to hear you bossing us around... at least you're still in semi-good spirits. :~) at least i hope i'm interpreting that right. :) we'll be praying for you.

Kara said...

Oh Kelly, I'll keep praying for your health and the baby's. You've made it to 36 weeks which is great, so hang in there. And I'll try to find something to blog about- just for you. :)

Katie said...

Oh!! I'm sorry! But am glad the dr. thinks he caught it somewhat early and can watch it. Bed rest, eh? Are you a watcher of the show 24? Chris and I haven't been, but last night, we just watch the first FOUR episdoes. We couldn't stop! Maybe you get the seasons? Not that you want to lay around watching the tube all day . . . Wish I were there so I could come visit. My little sister April is actually moving to Lou. in a few weeks - they're going to live at Carriage House North. Where's the new apt. you moved to? Hopefully I'll visit the area in the new future! :)

Unknown said...

Sorry you are dealing with that. Bedrest certainly isn't as fun as you'd think it would be! I was on bedrest with Ethan and I almost went crazy. I will certainly be praying for you! I just finally updated my blog today so you can at least read mine! : )

pamela s said...

Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear this, but it does sound like you have a good attitude about it! Glad you were able to move before this diagnosis!
Here are a couple ideas I read about to help your time pass by a little more quickly!
Organize photo albulms, design your announcements (vistaprint.com is good), address envelopes for the announcements, order your diapers & other necessites on line, reading: newspapers, magazines, novels, etc., have a little pizza party with some friends & a movie, have Ben bring drawers to you to organize each day, rent full seasons of different tv shows (there's quite a few out there from when we were kids!).
Hope this helps a little!

Jenny said...

Kelly, I am praying for you! Hope that all the rest will help your blood pressure go down as well as the swelling. I've got a great site for you to visit to pass the time, too! it's www.momadvice.com/blog on it you can access a whole list of blogs of people trying to live frugally! It's been fun for me to try some of the ideas I've seen as I've had a few minutes here and there to visit the blogs. I will definitely be praying that you can deliver vaginally. Make sure you get lots of opinions and advice from anyone who has the same birthing perspective as you (and are also medically trained!!!) - looks like your dr. is alread doing lots of testing, so that is great. We will pray!

Unknown said...

Kelly - we will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers! Just remember that NOW you are ordered to stay off your feet and relax but for the REST OF YOUR LIFE you will be on them, so just rub that belly, kick up those feet and thank God for each day! Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

aw mrs. glupker i'm so sorry !! i will definately keep you in my prayers and i hope that everything goes okay with you and your baby. keep letting us know whats going on!

Heather said...

WOW! I am so sorry to hear all of this! I was induced with both of my children because my heart couldn't handle it. I know what you mean that you would like to have a natural birth. I did too! Hang in there and keep those legs up. You have such a good spirit. Oh and by the way...i will be updating my blog this evening. :)

Unknown said...

Kelly,
My first reaction to your post was sadness and sympathy. But this is God's plan for you and your little one and I trust that He'll protect you and hold you near Him. It's tough to be disappointed when labor plans don't go as you hoped but in the end, what's most important is that you have a healthy bambino. I know I'm really hoping for a vaginal birth this time around but I don't know the Lord's plans for me yet! Just another opportunity for me to let go of my reins and hand them back over to God in trust.

I'll be praying for you too, dear! And I'll make it a point to update my blog this afternoon. :) Here are a few more fun blogs to surf in your "spare" time: http://www.babycheapskate.blogspot.com
http://www.goodyblog.com

Carrie said...

Oh Kelly, I will be praying for you!!! Specifically that you can have the best birth experience possible! When I was in labor with my first child, the midwife was concerned about possible preeclampsia b/c my blood pressure went up pretty high, pretty fast. They put me on a IV of magnesium sulfate and I was able to make it through just fine, with the only annoyance being that the mag. sulfate made me loopy most of the next day! Thankfully my second labor was fine and my b/p was OK, although it did go up near the end of my pregnancy. Just thought my experience might encourage you a bit. :) As others have said, it's so great to know that you can trust God for His plans for you!!

With my second pregnancy I did a little reading up on b/p & preeclampsia, and found some places that said to eat a lot of fiber, and of course drink tons of water. I've also heard positive things about the Brewer diet (www.blueribbonbaby.org) if you're interested . . . though I haven't yet tried it myself. Just thought I would share those ideas, for what it's worth. :) Keep us posted! And I hope you can find lots of things to help pass the time so the next days/weeks won't be TOO boring! Take care.

Anonymous said...

Kelly, this is Stephanie Armstrong's sister Melissa. I went through the same swelling with Parker. I was on partial bedrest for the last almost 2 months because my legs would turn black and blue when standing or sitting and could hardly fit in to any pants because they were so swollen and hurt so bad. Take warm baths to soak that did help me too. But I didn't have the blood pressure issues. Mine was a nerve that he was pushing on because he was so big 10 lbs. Listen to the doctors. I did deliver natural. As soon as my contractions started the swelling went down and the pain in my legs went away. The blood pressure may be too because of nerves and worries. Believe my I was scared too. Bed rest will make you relax and everything will go better for you since you have no choice. Take care. I feel your pain. ~Melissa

Amanda T said...

Sorry, to hear about all the difficulties with your pregnancy. You'll be in my prayers.

undergroundcrowds said...

oh man, I pray that anxiety won't hit. What a bummer, but you're one step closer to seeing the baby, even if it's not the step you planned to take. :)
How about this cliche remark "sleep while you can!"

:)

Anonymous said...

Its STILL a perfect pregnancy. ;) Just may not feel so perfect. Love you!

Matt & Nicki said...

I understand your frustration with the not being able to go naturally. I was induced with Sara, and my water broke four weeks early with silas--they induced me two weeks later. . .needless to say, I have no idea what normal labor feels like. Bedrest is no fun--been there done that. I will pray for you as the Lord brings you to mind--and baby glupker:)

Chris said...

Kelly,
Sorry to hear about this problem. I will be praying for you and hope that the delivery goes well, however it is done. I will also have pictures up in a couple days from part of my vacation.

the johnson crew said...

oh kelly, it sounds so painful. i'll be praying for you. praise the Lord your baby is healthy and your doctor has a good watch over you. i will pray that you won't have to have a c-section.

God bless,
janelle