Saturday, September 22, 2007

A Big Gift From a Woman I Have Never Met!



This is a picture of the Baby Einstein Activity Jumper that I registered for at Babies R Us. It had not been purchased for us so I told my sister that if all Owen's aunts and uncles on both sides of the family wanted to pitch in $15, they could get it for Owen for Christmas. I like it because it's a stationary toy and our apartment isn't big enough for a walker.

Well, yesterday Ben and I came home from work and I stopped to chat with our neighbor. Ben came downstairs and said, "We have a package sitting in front of our door. It's big. It's from Babies R Us. You're going to want to come see this. I don't know who it's from." I went upstairs and saw this activity jumper in it's box. I wondered who would have sent it and thought maybe a group of people from the Temple where we work all pitched in and got it for us. I took the invoice off the box and it said "To: Owen Glupker. Billed to: Susan." Ben then checked the mail and saw that we had a card from Susan as well. Ben kept saying, "Who is Susan? Is she a parent of one of your students?" Then he read the card. Susan used to work with my sister, Kim. She is a woman I have NEVER met. I would have been touched and surprised just to have received a congratulations card. But she went out and bought us an $80 gift! In her letter she said that even though we were strangers, she was very happy for us. I called my sister right away and told her about this generous gift.

Once again I am in awe of how kind and giving people can be. God certainly does provide in ways we would never expect. Susan has challenged me to look for ways that I can give as well. I hope to be a blessing to someone just as she has been to me.

8 comments:

Tricia said...

That is so neat! I had a similar experience with a lady I had met at library story time. When I had Sydney, she brought a big thing of diapers, a starbucks gift card and gifts for the boys too. I was blown away by their generosity, as we had only known eachother's names for a couple of weeks! =) It is a good reminder that as God's children we should be even more generous and giving. Thanks for the story.

Unknown said...

WHOA, what a huge surprise blessing! THanks for the challenge and reminder of God's immense goodness!

Matt & Nicki said...

Wow! Isn't it neat when God blesses in these ways that we would never expect!?

Anonymous said...

That's awesome - God is amazing in the way He can provide for us AND lift our hearts at the same time!

undergroundcrowds said...

what a nice lady.

Shannon Smith said...

What an awesome blessing!

the johnson crew said...

wow, kelly, that is amazing. praise the Lord.

Pam said...

OK Kelly, time for some new Owen pictures :)