Friday, October 05, 2007

Date Night


I wonder if Ben always keeps his eyes open . . .

Tonight was our first date night since Owen was born. We left our little guy with some friends of ours. We have an arrangment where we watch each other's children every other Thursday. One week we go out on a date and they babysit and the next week they go out and we babysit. It's great because it's free, but also because it helps us to focus on each other and not neglect our marriages. It is so common for couples to lose each other to their children. We love Owen, but we want to be purposeful about loving each other too.
We went out to eat and then did a little shopping. If you know me, you know I really hate to shop. I hate picking out clothes, but I have no choice. I am wearing my pre-pregnancy clothes, but am having a hard time finding shirts that fit modestly. I can wear my old bottoms, but tops are another story! So after we ate Ben took me to the mall and picked out some clothes for me. Yeah! I didn't have to pick them out - though I did actually find a few things I liked. Thankfully the stuff was clearanced so we didn't have to spend a fortune.
We had a great time and were happy to return to our boy. It was the first time he was without one of us, but we're told he did great! We're already looking forward to our next date!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Married people don't go on dates! j/k Thats cool though.

Kara said...

Maybe next time you're out Ben could do some shopping for me, too.

I'm glad you had a good time. :)

Matt & Nicki said...

I understand about the picking out clothes. .. I hate to spend the money and I walk around with something I am convinced I like, only to return it to the rack 10 minutes later--which drives Matt crazy;)
Looks like you two had a good time, and keep up those date nights, especially after other little Glupkers are in the picture!!

Jenny LaBo said...

Good for you guys! I love date nights.
........Um I could use some clothing help myself.

Phil Luter said...

I guess the only thing I would change on a date night is to shake that photographer that was following you.

brokeontwizzlers said...

Aww! that's great to see you still have the hots for each other. :)

undergroundcrowds said...

what a blessing to have an arrangement like that. Way to go! with leaving the little guy. I know that is a bold step for some people and I think it makes it harder on both the kid and the parents if they put separation off for a long time.
that's just conjecture from someone who has no idea.....yet.

pamela s said...

Although no experience here either, I'm glad to see you guys going out just the 2 of you & focusing on your relationship. Sounds like you made some great friends down in KY. And yay to new clothes!!

the johnson crew said...

what an awesome little babysitting coop. - i am glad you guys got to go out.

i am so jealous you little skinny minni. wearing your old jeans. i know that wont be me. (i am such a chub already.)

Unknown said...

Love that baby-sitting swap idea. I'll have to see if I can do that with some of my girlfriends. I can't remember the last time Matt and I went out on a date night alone. You're right, you really have to be purposeful about getting some alone time. Especially as Owen gets older.

I'm with Janelle in the jealousy department. I'm already outgrowing the maternity stuff I wore when prego with Chloe. Have to spring for some larges and x-larges soon!