Sunday, November 15, 2009

I'm not poor, and neither are you

It is so easy to feel sorry for yourself when you compare yourself to those that have more: a bigger home, nicer car, better job or a larger bank account. Unfortunately we as Americans never seem to compare ourselves to those who have less. It bothers me when people refer to themselves as "poor." If you are able to read this right now, you are not poor!

I like what Proverbs 15:17 says, "Better is a dinner of herbs where love is than a fattened ox and hatred with it." When my family sits down to dinner I could care less what is on our plate. It doesn't matter to me if we are eating steak or hot dogs as long as we love each other and our home is a place of peace and harmony.

2 comments:

Kara said...

Amen!

Unknown said...

I agree! Though I feel we are poor when looking at our yearly income we have never felt a need or even a want! God has always taken care of us and we always have enough money for groceries and basic necessities. I went out for a mommy-night-alone this past Wednesday and was astonished to see so many sit-down restaurants with full parking lots. I thought to myself, "aren't we in a recession? how can all these people afford to eat out and go shopping?!" Living in America it's pretty hard to be truly needy.