Sunday, April 18, 2010

Owen Update

I found a few pictures on my computer that were taken a few months ago. Ben must have taken them since this is the first I've seen them. I decided that since I posted about Aubrey's milestones, I should also post about what Owen is doing these days.

I cannot tell you how much joy this boy brings me. He's not perfect, but he's a perfect fit for our family.
Owen is just over 2.5 years old now. As I type this I can hear him singing Jesus Loves Me. Thankfully, Aubrey has learned to sleep through his noise. He listens to a lot of music!
I posted several months ago (before he was 2) about how he loved the alphabet. He still does. Now he is learning to put letters together to make words. He is starting to figure out three letter words and he thinks it's SO much fun. He also likes numbers and counting.
He loves books. We read together often. He also likes to pick up a book and make up his own story by looking at the pictures. And speaking of stories, he constantly is asking us to "tell him a story about ____." And when we do, he sits ever so still and focuses on the story, even asking questions about the characters, their emotions, etc. For example: Tonight he asked me to tell him a story about Aunt Kimmie. I proceeded to tell him about the time that she threw a frozen chocolate swiss cake roll at my face and hit me square in the nose. Immediately, Owen asked, "Did that hurt? Did you cry? Did Aunt Kimmie hold you? Did she kiss you?" After I answered all of his questions he wrinkled his nose and said, "She laughed?" And then we talked about how naughty she was. Okay, now I'm losing focus. My point is, Owen LOVES to hear stories and he pays very close attention to the details. He also likes to tell stories and becomes very dramatic and excited when he does so.
Owen was day-time potty trained last October, but now he is completely done with diapers, meaning, he no longer wears them to bed either. He used his last diaper a few months ago. I was thrilled when we reached that milestone!
Most recently, his BIGGEST milestone is that he no longer sucks his thumb. Yes, I know, he's too old to be sucking his thumb - that's why this is a big deal for us! Owen has not put his thumb in his mouth at all since a week ago today. Wahoo!


He is a good big brother to his sister. They adore each other! Owen can always get Aubrey to laugh. It's so sweet to see the two of them interact with each other.
Well, there it is - a few of the many things Owen is up to. We do not have any family close by so this is our way of helping them feel connected. And it's also a great way for me to "scrapbook" since I don't have the time or the room to do so.

6 comments:

Kim said...

I don't think you should be telling Owen stories about his naughty Aunt Kimmie. Although, I laugh everytime I think of that one afternoon....

Gina said...

I'm curious how you get him to stop sucking his thumb. I'm assuming he didn't just do it on his own, did he? We're going to have to tackle this hurdle with Molly at some point. Any tips would be appreciated!

Gina said...

Oh, and is it true that there's nothing you can do to get a kid nighttime potty trained and that you simply have to wait until it happens on its own (as I've read in several parenting books, etc), or is there something you did that you think helped?

Kelly Glupker said...

Gina,
We put a product on his fingernail called "Mavala Stop." It can be purchased through amazon for about $8. It taste terrible. We talked about how he was a big boy now and needed to stop sucking his thumb and that we were going to help him learn to stop by putting this stuff on his nail. It only lasts 24 hours but we haven't had to reapply because he hasn't even attempted to suck his thumb after he tasted it.
I don't think I did anything to help him stop peeing at night. Obviously I didn't let him drink a ton right before bed and we went to the bathroom right before hand. Some days his diaper was soaked and some days it was completely dry. So I decided just to take it off a few months ago and he's only had two accidents, both very minor. I have heard that it's common for kids to purposely pee in their diaper since they know they have it on. So I think it's a good idea to experiment with underwear at night or use training/plastic pants instead of a diaper at night.

Gina said...

Thanks for the info, Kelly! Did Owen have a harder time falling asleep for naps or bedtime without being able to suck his thumb?

Kelly Glupker said...

No, he hasn't had trouble falling asleep. But my friend's daughter is having trouble. But I think it's the same with a pacifier - after a few days without it they adjust.