Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Smile


I used to work at the front desk of the college I attended. One day a friend approached me and said, "You know, when you aren't dealing with a guest and you're focused on your work, your face gets very serious. You kind of look unhappy when you concentrate."

When I was a senior in high school I went to studio to have my senior pictures taken. The photographer was trying to get my "serious" side and he told me not to smile. I did what he asked and he responded with, "You look so angry when you don't smile!"
I've noticed that even now, years later, I still forget to smile when I'm focused on my work. It's not that I'm unhappy. I'm just, well, focused. But I've decided that I need to be more intentional in how I present myself to my family. My husband deserves to come home to a wife that expresses joy and my children deserve to see a smile on my face. Ben knows that I'm happy and has never once said otherwise. But as I looked at these smiling pictures of my daughter I was reminded once again the importance of a smile. It really can encourage those around you and it's contagious - so why not put a smile on your face?

Psalm 9:2, "I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High."

0 comments: