Thursday, July 07, 2011

Fireworks & the Difference Between 2 Children

Friday night we decided to take the kids to see fireworks at a nearby church. It's just a couple miles from where we live, it wasn't on the exact holiday and therefore we could avoid the crazy crowds and heavy traffic. It worked out beautifully. We watched them with our good friends, Bill and Sabrina. We were the closest ones to the fireworks. We watched them on Bill's tailgate and he parked right up close. We had a great view. To my surprise the fireworks were fantastic! I honestly don't think it would have been worth it to go anywhere else, especially with young children. They lasted for a long time, they were loud, they were big and the finale was great.
I talked to Owen about the fireworks ahead of time. I warned him that they would be loud but only for a second until the next one goes off. He wasn't at all worried, just excited. He told me he would just cover his ears. Well, look below to see what happened and the reactions of my two kids:


Aubrey just stared in amazement. She later smiled and got excited. She was clearly impressed.
Owen freaked out. In his defense, he was standing off by himself without any one of us by his side. And I swear they started with what could have easily been considered the grand finale. For a long time the fireworks just popped one after another. We were so close and it was so loud that even though I was in Owen's face yelling as loud as I could so he could hear me, he didn't catch a single word. It was beautiful chaos. So what did I do? Well, I couldn't calm him down, he couldn't hear me, the fireworks weren't stopping so I continued to snap pictures.


Aubrey continued to watch without a care in the world even though it sounded like we were in the middle of a war.


And Owen continued to scream.


BUT . . . once the initial show was over, Owen was just fine. He ended up really enjoying the fireworks. In fact, he loved it. And when the REAL grand finale came, which was just as loud and crazy, he was absolutely pleased. In fact, he wanted more.


0 comments: