Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Wizard of Oz

Shortly after Christmas I decided it was time to pick up another chapter book for Owen and I to read together. We've now completed seven. Having never read The Wizard of Oz before, I thought it would be a fun classic for us to go through together. We read the original, written by Frank L. Baum in 1900. It was really neat to see my son enjoy a book that is over a century old! I didn't realize how different the book was from the movie. Did you know that in the original story, the special shoes are not ruby red, but silver? I had no idea! Owen had never seen the movie before so none of the differences bothered him, but it also required him to really use his imagination. I thought some of the imagery would be difficult. Winged monkeys, munchkins, witches, a tin woodman and a talking scarecrow are just a few of the things we read that Owen has never before heard of. But to my delight he loved reading through the book.
At one point in the story when Dorothy was confronted by the wicked witch Owen put his hands over his eyes and buried his face into the back of the couch and said, "Mama! This is so frightening!"
At that moment I remembered how scared I was of the witch the first time I saw the movie. I wrongly assumed that the book wouldn't be as scary as the movie.
So I asked him, "Owen, would you like me to stop reading? We don't have to finish."
He quickly answered, "I'm scared, but I just HAVE to know what happens next!" So we continued on and completed this 200 page classic. He loved it so much that we finished the book in 6 days. He wanted to hear the story again - and he did. We checked out the story on audio and he heard every word a second time. I love that he loves books!
Before Owen sees a movie I try to read the book to him first, if there is one. Since we completed the book he got to see the movie, which he thoroughly enjoyed after he got past the fact that it's quite a bit different from the the book. And for a little "field trip" we also went to see The Wizard of Oz live. There were three performances over the weekend and they all sold out. I'm so glad we were able to get tickets because Owen loved it! I was really impressed with the show too.

Waiting for the show to start!
Owen (in mid blink) with his cousin Brooklyn
Me, Owen and Brookie
We went with Aunt Kimmy and Brooklyn!

Every so often I try to do something special with just Owen. I am the one he spends his days with so it's up to me to do the majority of the schooling and disciplining. I think it's important for us to have these special date nights every once in a while. It was an extra special treat to have my sister and niece join us. After the show we went out to dinner and even got dessert. The kids had a great time!

0 comments: