Friday, April 18, 2008

Kim

My sister, who is 33 weeks pregnant, just learned that she has a 2 vessel umbilical cord. According to our on-line research, this can be a very dangerous situation. Apparently the baby could be born perfectly normal, or, have some severe abnormalities in all major organ systems. Often, the baby has a low birth weight due to the fact that the he does not get as many nutrients as those with a normal 3 vessel cord. We do not know anybody who has dealt with this before, because it is extremely rare, so we are appealing to our blogger friends for help. Do you know anyone who has ever had a 2 vessel umbilical cord? If so, was their baby healthy at birth? Please comment if you have any insight or knowledge on the matter. Above all, please pray for my sister and baby boy Lange. Thank you!

8 comments:

Kara said...

I have never heard of this, but we will be praying for Kim and baby.

Unknown said...

I don't know anyone that's experienced this but I'll be praying for Kim and her little one! Keep us posted!

The Speer's said...

I have never heard of this myself but will be praying for your sister and family.

Shelby said...

Kelly,
I believe that this is the samething that Holly Poag's baby was born with.(Tricia's sister) He had to be dilivered early due to him not getting enough nutrients so he was quite small for as many weeks as he was and he had some trouble breathing for a while so he had to be transferred to Hurley to the Neonatel unit. I think he was there for a couple of weeks. The last I talked to Tricia's she said he was healthy and growing fast now. You should email Tricia to make sure it is the samething but it does sound the same. I will be praying for Kim these last few weeks of her pregnancy. Does she have to go through more testing?

undergroundcrowds said...

That's scary. I'll be praying.

Kelly Glupker said...

Shelby,
Thanks for letting us know! Kim's mother-in-law is friends with Holly's mom. She called today and got all the details. You're right -Holly had a 2 vessel cord. I'm not sure what other tests they will be doing, but they are keeping a close eye on her.

Everyone,
Thanks for your prayers!

Matt & Nicki said...

A woman in our church, a baby Christian, just had a baby a couple months ago and her baby had this same issue. They followed her as a high risk pregnancy all the way through and the little boy was born perfectly healthy! I know the fear of not knowing all of the "what if's" during pregnancy and I will be praying for her as the Lord brings her to mind.

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard of this but I will put her on our prayer list at our Bible Study.