Wednesday, April 09, 2008

A Worthy Read


When I was put on bed rest right before I had Owen, I received a special package in the mail from Alicia. If you are a faithful reader of Alicia's blog you have undoubtedly noticed what a sweet, godly, woman she is. She is one of the few people my age who I believe is a Proverbs 31 woman. She loves her husband and children and is the keeper of her home.
Included in the package she sent me was this book, Biblical Womanhood in the Home, edited by one of my favorite authors, Nancy Leigh DeMoss. Because I had Owen just a few days after being put on bed rest, it took me a few months to finally read the book. While on vacation a couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to read it cover to cover.
The contributors were Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Barbara Hughes, Susan Hunt, Mary Kassian, Carolyn Mahaney, Dorothy Kelley Patterson, and P. Bunny Wilson. Femininity, true beauty, foolish women, a wife's responsibility, and mothering are some of the great topics in this book. The church, I am afraid, has lost the proper perspective of what true, Biblical, femininity looks like. We have bought into our culture's ideas and philosophy regarding the role of women. I think it is important that Christian women purposely seek to gain the right perspective. Unfortunately, most churches are not addressing this issue. Reading books such as this one will be helpful.
The chapter that impressed me the most was chapter 11. Here, Susan Hunt explains a mentoring program that can, and really should be, a part of every local church. We know that Titus 2 instructs the older women to teach the younger women, but that is not commonly done in a purposeful way. If you believe God is calling you or your church to start a Titus 2 Ministry program, you may be interested in Susan Hunt's book, The Titus 2 Mandate for Women Mentoring Women.
As I mentioned in the beginning of this post, Nancy Leigh DeMoss is one of my favorite writers. Although she has never been married and has no children, I love reading what she has to say about being a wife and a mother because she teaches from the Word of God. If you have never read her book Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free, you MUST get your hands on a copy. I posted about it a couple of years ago. Click here to get an idea what the book is about.
Thank you, Alicia for recommending such a great book. I now encourage the women reading this post to read it as well.

7 comments:

Kara said...

I love when you do book reviews! Keep them coming!

Karen said...

I really enjoyed Lies Women Believe. I'll make a note of this one!

Nana & Papa Schwab said...

I cant agree more, I gave all my daughters her book for Christmas!!! If we all stepped up to the plate that God has given us, our future generations would really make an impact on this world.
Deb

Diana Oedy said...

Wow, that sounds like a great book. I will have to read it. Thanks

Unknown said...

Wow, I feel slightly embarrassed that you mentioned me so much in this post! I actually didn't get to finish that book but I read the first 2 segments in my intermittent free time and they were so encouraging and enlightening regarding our BIBLICAL roles. I love that the authors in the book went back to Scripture and Biblical principles constantly instead of pulling from anecdotes or common experiences.

I'm not feeling very p.31-ish today; thanks for the reminder and rebuke that I need to get on the ball and serve my family today instead of having a pity party! :)

From My Kitchen said...

Another excellent book about the Titus 2 Woman is Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney.

Kelly Glupker said...

Sara, (which Sara is this?)
I agree. I read that book a couple years ago. I may have posted on it.