Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A Life That Says Welcome


I just finished reading, A Life That Says Welcome: Simple Ways to Open Your Heart & Home to Others. I already knew the Bible commanded me as a Christian to be hospitable, but it wasn't until reading this book that I realized how many ways I can do just that. Ehman discusses meal planning, overnight guests, hospitality on the road, decorating, family first, cleaning, organizing and just plain old blessing people. The book is packed with recipes and creative ideas you can use to minister to other people. I must say, I've been challenged by reading this book and hope to put into practice what I've learned. Hospitality seems to be a forgotton thing in our culture but I want it to be a very purposeful thing in my home.

**My Michigan friends might be interested in knowing that Karen Ehman is from Michigan and even sends her kids to Camp Barakel every summer. She's a well known speaker too - I wonder if she has ever spoken at Barakel?

4 comments:

Jenny LaBo said...

OHH I am going to have to get that book. Kelly I completely agree with you, hospitality is at a low in today's day and age.

Pam said...

I was raised in a VERY hospitable home and have always wanted that for my own home. I'm going to be checking this book out too. Thanks for the reccomendation. (Is that spelled right? It looks wrong to me)

Sarah Glupker said...

I would be interested to read this lady's ideas. I think there is an art to hospitality, as well as an internal grace that comes out towards your visitors.
Pa-mella-- because I'm anal about spelling at times, it is 'recommendation.' You can't say that I never taught you something (even if it is trivial!).

SEG

Pam said...

Thanks Sarah G! You're a great friend, and speller :)
Are you around at all this weekend? We'll be at Mom and Dad's probably playing games Friday and Saturday nights...come over!! Plus Evan needs to see his Aunt Sarah again.