Friday, October 16, 2009

Riding the Potty Train

Admiring his stickers
I decided one week ago that it was time to start potty training. Originally I wanted Owen trained before Aubrey was born, but was advised not to do that because it was too much change: new baby, new bed, etc. And then I was told, "Don't do it right after the baby is born. It's too much work when you have a newborn." But when Owen started going behind the rocking chair to fill his pants I figured he was capable of using the toilet.
So, last Friday I put him in a pair of underwear and made him a potty chart to hang on the bathroom door. He loves LoVeS LOVES letters so we bought letter stickers and told him he could put a letter on his chart every time he used the potty. AND, if he pooped on the potty he got an extra big letter (larger stickers). It has proven to be the perfect motivator. He gets up in the morning and says, "Mama, I go potty. I want the letter x." And to the potty he sits and pees, and the letter x he receives! It's only been one week and he hasn't had any accidents in a few days. When I took him to church on Wednesday I told him that if he had to go potty he needed to tell his teacher (which he did and had no accidents!). So now when I remind him and say, "Owen, you need to tell Mama when you have to go potty." He replies, "Okay, Mama. Or I tell my teacher." I am so proud of him and so excited to be buying diapers for only one child!

9 comments:

Jenny LaBo said...

Yeah for Owen!

Kara said...

That is fantastic! It is such a GREAT feeling when you don't have to buy diapers in 2 different sizes!
Abby will be 3 in November and still having a little trouble making it all night, so that's awesome that he gets up in the morning and goes on the potty!

Kelly Glupker said...

Kara,
He does go in the morning and last night he did get out of bed to go, but he is NOT dry in the morning. Although since we started potty training he has been dry during naps. At this point I'm fine with him peeing in his sleep, I'll be pleased just to be out of daytime diapers!

undergroundcrowds said...

yeah! Owen- I hope something like stickers motivates Keane- right now he is all about balls and that would get costly.

Gina said...

Wow! Sounds so easy! I wish my
two attempts at training Evan had been that easy and successful.

Kelly Glupker said...

Gina,
I introduced the potty a year ago and he had gone several times but not on purpose. I would just catch it in time. Although a few months ago he would tell me when he had to poop, I'd put him on the potty, and he would poop. But then he went through a stage where he refused to tell me. So we've been talking about the potty for more than a week. I just decided a week ago that he wasn't allowed to wear diapers anymore. How is Molly doing?

Our Family said...

Good idea mom! Sounds like Owen is a little smarty pants.

Gina said...

I haven't even tried with her. She acts like she's afraid of the potty even though we've had a little potty in the bathroom since January.

Sarah Glupker said...

Keep it up, O-bug. You look pretty cool standing next to that Potty Chart...Way cool. Cooler than "cool." WIll you be my friend?

A. Sarah