Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving With Grandpa

This Thanksgiving was spent at home with my Dad here for a visit. And I loved it. I spent a lot of time in my little kitchen preparing meals for my family to feast on. I didn't take any pictures of our meal - I was too busy. But I made turkey, potatoes and gravy, green beans, stuffing, homemade yeast rolls, cherry salad and pumpkin pie.
It was so nice to have my dad here for five days. We ate a lot of junk food, played a ton of games, enjoyed great conversation, shopped, watched football, laughed and relaxed. It was really neat to see my children get to know their grandpa better and fall in love with him. Owen especially enjoyed all of the extra attention. Grandpa played several rounds of Memory, CandyLand and Chutes and Ladders with him. Owen is always excited to have new competition.

Grandpa and Owen
Working his way to the Candy Castle!
It takes Aubrey a little while to warm up to people. The first night my dad was here she wouldn't go near him. In fact, she wouldn't walk across the living room if he was watching her. She would freeze with her back up to the wall. But as soon as he would turn his head she would run across the room to either Ben or I without taking her eyes of my dad. It was so funny! But it only took a couple of hours for her to get comfortable enough to grab a book and plop herself into his lap. Once he started reading to her she was in love.
The rest of the time he was here Aubrey helped herself to his lap and wanted to sit there often.
She frequently looked up at him to watch him read. So this voice goes with this face?
Aubrey squeeze herself under his arm while he played with Owen. She didn't want to be left out!
The day before Grandpa left to go home we decided to let Owen go back to Michigan with him. To say he was excited is an understatement. He wouldn't stop talking about it. He wanted to get in the car and leave immediately. He and Grandpa packed a bunch of snacks for the road trip and sang together in the car. Owen called me a couple of times during the car ride. I asked him if he wanted to come home and he said "I'll see you later!" I took that as a "no." I've talked to him several times since he arrived in Michigan and he is having a blast. He went to an indoor water park with his cousins, played lots of games and today they are building a gingerbread house. I miss him terribly and can't wait to see him again but I am thankful he is having so much fun. I have fond memories of visiting relatives in Michigan while my parents stayed home in Arizona. I'm glad Owen has the same opportunity to make memories with family.

2 comments:

Shelby said...

Great pictures! So nice that your Dad was able to come for a visit, how nice. Laughed out loud about Aubrey against the wall how funny. Love the picture of her looking up at your Dad, adorable. When is Owen coming home?

Kelly Glupker said...

Shelby - I don't know when he's coming home. When we let him go we were under the impression that Ben's brother would be bringing him back Friday. Now we're told that he isn't. So . . . I'm not sure. But I want him home soon! I miss him! Ben will probably get him Saturday.