Sunday, January 23, 2011

God's Leading

For almost a month we asked God to give us direction and provision. We had no idea what to do or what God was doing. We didn't know how we were going to pay our bills. We just took it one day at a time and hoped that through this season God would strengthen us, draw us to Himself and increase our faith and trust in Him.
Well meaning friends and family asked us if we had considered moving back to Michigan. We had not. The unemployment rate there is high and even though we didn't know how our financial situation was going to work itself out, we at least have jobs. And besides, we love our life in Kentucky. It is our home and I personally had no desire to leave. I love everything about my life here. A close family friend asked us to consider the idea that perhaps God was trying to move us out of Kentucky. We were reminded that regardless of whether or not we stayed in Kentucky, we had to move. We cannot bring a third child into our apartment. And we needed to face the fact that Ben needed a different job where medical insurance was affordable. We continued to pray about where God wanted us, where He wanted us to live and work.
Then about 2.5 weeks ago Ben received a totally unexpected job offer - a job that provided affordable insurance. The job was not only in Michigan, but in Ben's hometown! Ben and I talked about it and prayed together. One week after the job offer we were offered a home to rent. Everything seemed to fall into place. And so we made the decision to step out in faith, quit our jobs in Kentucky and move our family to Michigan. We still have some unknowns. Obviously I will be losing my job but we are excited to see how God is going to meet all of our needs. We plan to move this week.
Many people have asked Ben how I feel about this move. So I thought I would just say it here. I have had a lot of mixed emotions. Even my sister said to me in one conversation, "We are all really excited about this move, but you don't seem to be." It's no secret that I love Louisville. Whether we move now or move at a later date when Ben gets a ministry job it's going to be hard for me. But we've known all along that this move was going to happen eventually. I have no doubt that this is where God is leading us and I want to be right where He wants us. I am excited to be near family and friends. I am looking forward to being a part of our home church again and I'm thankful my children can be near family, even if only for a short time. We have no idea how long God has us in Michigan. We plan to stay there until God provides Ben with a ministry position. So do I leave Louisville with sadness? Yes, but that's a good thing because it means I have made some wonderful friends! While I am sad to leave my home here I am happy to be in Michigan. The closer we get to moving day the more I look forward to it!
Ministry is still the priority. It is still what we are seeking and we still believe that God has called Ben to the ministry. Until then we will faithfully serve wherever God puts us.

1 comments:

CC said...

I'm excited for y'all! It's so once to be on "this" side of it! We look forward to hearing all that God does with y'all! Are you still coming in march?