Friday, January 13, 2012

Redeeming the Time

It was one year ago this month that I got together with a group of women in Louisville, Kentucky to discuss the idea of creating a theme to give my life direction and focus. My theme for 2011 was Grace to Trust Him More. We were faced with a lot of uncertainties last year. An unexpected blessing/pregnancy, an unplanned move to Michigan, a potential problem with my pregnancy, a new job for Ben, a change in our finances, direction for a ministry position for Ben, a heart murmur found in Owen, and Ben's car was stolen - just to name a few. It was a great year. There were sad times and good times. Big things took place. My grandmother passed away on Valentine's Day, my second daughter was born in July and my husband became a pastor.

I really enjoyed having a theme and using my journal. I recorded things I most certainly would have forgotten otherwise. My journal is full of special notes from friends, pictures, quotes from my children, Owen's writing, sermon notes and much more.
I began thinking several weeks ago about what my theme for 2012 should be. I have been convicted lately about the use of my time. This thought often comes to mind, "The days are long, but the years are short." Life is passing by. It's going by so fast. I have so many goals and dreams and I am becoming more and more aware that unless and until I am intentional with my time, I will not accomplish all that I hope to. I only have so many years left with my children in my home and under my care. I cannot afford to waste time!
With that said, my theme this year is Redeeming the Time and I'm clinging on to Ephesians 5:15-16 which says, "Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil." As I redeem the time I hope to spend more time reading the Bible, playing with my kids and interacting with my husband. These goals are hard to measure so I have come up with a few things I plan to do that will be easy to manage. So far, here's what I plan to do:
- Have my lesson plans done by Saturday of each week
- Read at least six books off my reading list
- Daily prayer time and Bible reading
- Write in my children's journals weekly
- Rise early in the morning and retire early in the evening.
- Exercise five days a week. (GASP!) I know, I know. I almost didn't mention this one here because putting it in writing means there's no turning back. But that's why I NEED to write this one out. My sister has already come up with a workout plan for me to start on Monday.

I don't know how many days I have left but I know I want to use them to the fullest!

0 comments: