Monday, May 11, 2009

A Disturbing Trip to the Playground

Today after I left work I decided to take Owen to a nearby playground that I had never been to. Upon arriving I realized that this playground was owned by a daycare center. Owen was allowed to play there, as long as I was with him, and there were several other young children (age 3 and younger) who were under the supervision of five daycare workers. It was a beautiful playground, just perfect for a child Owen’s age. The daycare itself was in a very nice building and the parents that came to pick up their children were all nicely dressed men and women who drove nice vehicles and had their kids nicely groomed. I imagine this daycare is not cheap, considering the “niceness” of everything. I was there a total of one hour, but it didn’t take that long for me to be reminded once again that I am so, So, SO thankful that God has allowed me to keep my son out of daycare! It’s no secret that I do not believe daycare is in the best interest of children. I feel badly for those families who have no other options, and there are certainly many families that are in that boat! Unfortunately there are also many families who could keep their children out of these facilities if they were willing to sacrifice: live in a smaller house, drive an older car, shop at yard sales and cut out new furniture and expensive vacations. Most of the negative feelings I have toward these daycare centers is based upon statistics, books I’ve read and things I’ve heard. But what I actually witnessed today confirmed what I already felt.

For easy reading, I’m just going to write some bullet points of those things that really bothered me today.
* Although there are benches surrounding all sides of the playground, every one of the workers sat on the same bench chatting to each other or texting on their cell phones. Therefore, even if they were to look up, they could not see three quarters of the playground.
* A few of the children did not have their shoelaces tied and kept tripping, but nobody noticed.
* One child had a verrrry dirty (and smelly!) diaper on. Of course the daycare workers aren’t going to notice that on the other side of the playground.
* Three boys kept throwing wood chips and pine cones in each other’s faces – but again nobody was there to stop them. One worker finally intervened when a little boy completely knocked another kid to the ground and the screaming began. (And yet some people think daycare is good for socializing our children!?! I’ll never understand that argument. I want my children to learn from me and their Daddy how to socialize, not from an undisciplined brat on the playground. Owen gets all the socialization he needs at our weekly story time at the library, church, play dates with our friends and regular trips to the park).
* One child hurt himself in such a way that he ended up with a huge black and blue goose egg on his forehead. I wondered how the workers were going to explain that since nobody witnessed it.
* At one point, (and this bothered me the most) I took Owen over to the swings. A little girl around 18-20 months of age followed. She pointed to the swing next to Owen’s and said, “swing.” The swings were right next to the bench where the workers were sitting. I watched as they ignored her request to swing. Finally I walked over to the women and said, “This little girl wants to swing. May I put her in the swing and push her? I’m pushing my son so it’s really not a problem.” I’m sure they have a policy that says something about not letting strangers handle the kids. One of the workers replied, “No. She doesn’t need to swing.” Then, looking at the girl the lady said, “Caroline, go play with something else.” Caroline began to cry and kept saying, “swing, swing.” The worker simply raised her voice and said, “CAROLINE! NO! Now go play!” I felt so sorry for this little girl. She just wanted someone to push her in the swing, but apparently the workers were too busy sitting on their bench. Caroline was left to herself to cry.
* One of the children was running and lost his shoe. Another, much younger, little boy (I would guess 18 months of age) picked up the shoe. He didn’t steal it, he wasn’t refusing to give it back, he simply saw it and picked it up. A worker yelled to the little boy to give back the shoe. I don’t think the little boy understood what she was saying. Irritated that she had to get up, the worker walked over and without stopping or even slowing down, she ripped the shoe out of the boy’s hand as she passed him. How rude! The toddler stood there clearly confused as to what was going on.
* The workers constantly seemed annoyed whenever they were interrupted or had to deal with a child. Two children were especially cute and they seemed to get some extra attention. But otherwise, the kids were treated like irritations.
* I was able to hear bits and pieces of the conversations going on amongst the workers. I heard one of them say, “Yeah, she’s not allowed to be alone with the kids yet, but we still let her.” Later I heard one of the women say, “I’ve just recently decided to start dating other women. I just want to see what it’s like.”

During the hour I was at the playground other parents came in with their children. It was very obvious which child was there with his Mommy and which one was there with a paid employee. Those with Mommies always had somebody watching them, cheering them on as they climbed up the ladder, encouraging them as they braved going through the tunnel for the first time, warning them to get off the slide before another little one came down, kissing them when they fell, wiping their snotty noses, giving them water when they got thirsty and making sure their little darling was having a fun, safe time at the park. And those children under the supervision of a paid employee? Well, let’s just say that they didn’t have a cheerleader on their side. They barely had anyone watching them play. Once again, you just can’t buy “Mommy Love.”
When parents arrived to pick up their daycare kids, everything seemed great. The workers smiled and the kids seemed happy. I wondered why the kids were happy. Was it because Mommy was now there? Was it because today was a typical day for them and therefore nothing to be upset about? Was this all they knew? Either way, it saddened me.
Obviously not all daycare centers are this way. And, again, I know that some families have no choice but to put their child in daycare. I know that I have a very unique situation in which the Lord allows me to work and my child gets to go with me. I am SO thankful! However, it is still true that NOBODY can love your child like you can! When I tucked my little boy into bed tonight I gave him a great big hug and kiss and had a heart full of thanksgiving. I am so thankful that I am my kid’s mom and I’m the one training him and watching him develop every day! I wouldn’t trade this job for the world!

Oh, and one more thing (for the very few of you who have read this far!) - This daycare center was a nonprofit, religious daycare.

23 comments:

Abby said...

I too am very thankful that Eli doesn't have to go to daycare. While I can't be a stay-at-home mom at this point, we are very blessed to have family, who are also Christians, watch Eli during the times both Vince and I are working. While it's not 100% what I would love (since I want to be home all the time of course!), I am truly thankful for God's provision of loving family!

Josh said...

Wow. Just wow.

Travis,Stephanie, Olivia & Alex said...

AHHHHHHHHHHH !
Are you kidding me, after leaving there I would have felt like I needed to stand by all those parents cars and fill them in on such horrible care !!
I worked at a preschool for 3 years and that was never tolerated by any means. Plus all workers loved children and had such great care.
I praise God that the short time I had to put Olivia in a daycare there were only 2 kids, one being olivia and the other a little boy. Nice christian family.
Now I thank Him even more that I can be at home with my children. Being at home can be hard but the rewards and benefits out weigh everything !!!!!

Jenny LaBo said...

That makes me so sad.

Gina said...

I got teary-eyed just reading about poor little Caroline! How sad!

Jaclyn said...

This absolutely broke my heart. I have just a hard time with the fact that I have to work and can't be home with Ike all the time but I am soooo grateful that I get to take him to work with me and that even the times I have to leave him somewhere it's always with family. I never in my life dreamed I'd want to quit work to stay home and now I count down till September when I ahould be able to. My heart hurts for all the other single working mothers who don't have that option. And yes I probably wouldve been informing some parents.

undergroundcrowds said...

what????

what a disaster.

undergroundcrowds said...

do you mind if I share this with a bunch of people via email (just the post)? knowing is half the battle.

undergroundcrowds said...

it's not like they can't click on the whole blog, so it's up to you. I could copy and paste too. I feel compelled to share this sort of information being a Moppets leader.

Karen said...

This is too, too sad.
I'm newly thankful that the Lord has allowed me to stay home with my kids.

suzanne said...

I used to work at a daycare and I can assure you, this treatment is typical and can even be worse. Once I witnessed a worker slap a child out of anger. It was aweful. I turned her in and she didn't even get fired. So sad. I am SO thankful that this is not my life.

Kelly Glupker said...

Sarah,
Feel free to share the story. I don't mind at all.

I thought about what I could do, but I don't think there is anything I can do. Is this care abusive? According to the law, no. I had a job once where I worked closely with social workers and child protective services and I GUARANTEE they would do NOTHING, because it's not abusive. Many people wouldn't have a problem with it. (I just happen to have lots of friends who are GREAT moms who do see something wrong with it). Is it neglect? Well, it is in my opinion. But as Suzanne pointed out, this type of "care" isn't that uncommon in many daycare settings. I think it is wonderful that working moms have family who can help them with childcare. Before anyone uses ANY daycare, I would struggly encourage you to read a couple of books on it - my favorite is "Partenhood by Proxy" by Dr. Laura Schlessinger.

Amanda Irene said...

It's such a sad fact.

TraceyLD said...

I'm so blessed to be able to stay home with my kids.
I felt bad the whole time I was reading your post.
Keep on being a GREAT mom!

undergroundcrowds said...

as Moppets leader, I would try to emphasize the need to engage our kids, and it was an uphill battle as the workers were hired by the military and I couldn't tell them to teach Bible stories or do Bible. What I could do is give them a box of suggestions. Some were annoyed that I kept coming in to check, but sometimes it just takes accountability.
I found, though, that most moms wanted more interaction with their kids, but were resigned to whatever they got. If they know, they can complain. At least in the military, they are getting paid- there should be "more work" being done, even from that standpoint.

Unknown said...

Hey what a topic! I work for the School Age Services with the elementary school children of the military. This post is right on target as far as I have experienced. Those that care are given all of the work to do and those that don't sit on the bench. The parents though are the main influence in the child's life and most parents should have had pets not children. The right of mothers to care for their families has been cast off in favor of career. Moms are seeking significance away from the family and neglecting their natures as nurturers. Who's fault is it? The husbands who do not care for their ladies and protect them and provide for them so they can care for their families. If you think daycare is bad, wait until the ratio goes up between the care giver and the child once they hit school age. Our system requires 1 adult to a max of 15 children. The adult can be fresh out of High school. In public school the ratio climbs to 30 to 1. All the education in the world will not prepare a teacher for 30 kids all at once. Just look at the graduation rates. Detroit at 25% and Colorado Springs at 77%. Those are the highest and lowest in the nation. We want to blame the schools, daycares, or the government but the blame lays at the feet of the fathers for not leading the family and then at the mothers for not allowing the fathers to lead. There are too many boys married to mothers! Fathers become men and save your wives and children!

Amanda Irene said...

you could write a letter to the church day/care & pastor annonomously.

Heather said...

I have worked outside of the home since Logan was a year old. While it truely broke my heart to leave both of my children at that age, I was very fortunate to have a Christian family watch them. I NEVER had to use a daycare facility.

I know people have very strong feelings about mommies staying at home, but it doesn't always work like that. I am so thankful that God has given me a husband who loves me and who is willing to work hard, but also be an AWESOME daddy .

Both of our kids are in school now and it is a bit easier for me to go to work each day...but I still miss them all day long!!

Abby said...

I agree with Heather - while it's not a "career-driven" decision I have made to work, and while my husband is an excellent worker and provider, it's just not enough. Our plan is to eventually have me work just part-time or not at all, but right now, we know it's not in God's plan, and we are ok with that. I don't work because I want to and I feel like I need to work in order to feel better about myself. I don't put any blame on my husband at all. I don't think that's an accurate statement. We live within our means and go without a lot of things in order to work towards a goal of me staying home. While we are comfortable with our means, we don't live outside the means by any stretch of the imagination. Believe me, if I didn't have to work, you better believe I wouldn't!! But for now, I'm resigned to know that THIS is God's will for our family at THIS point in our lives - not forever, but for now. And I am content in knowing that. Do I like it all the time - nope! But, I survive, and snuggle my boy that much more when we are together. Ok - my two-cents is done :-)

Unknown said...

What a tragic picture of daycare! That's so incredibly sad. Somedays though when I'm weary and exhausted I'm about ready to hand over my little ones to someone else so I can get a break. But then God reminds me of what a privilege it is to train these souls and that He's equipped and planned for ME specifically to be their mama. It seems to me that many parents are excited during the first year or so of child-rearing but then when they see how difficult and time-consuming it is they are willing to pay someone else to do the hard work.

Laurie said...

I feel very lucky to have the daycare I do. I think they do a great job, and if there is something going on that I don't like/agree with then I know I can talk freely with the owner/director. If it is not resolved, believe me, I don't have a problem removing my little girl and going elsewhere. I haven't had any problems so far though, and they do so much with the kids, including a preschool for ages 3-4. They do really well at letting the infant class getting involved in as much as they can also. I have shown up unannounced several times, and I've only seen one of the girls on her phone once, and it was about her car breaking down, and during nap time for the kids. I see the caregivers spend individual time with those that need it, while others are content playing with other kids or by themselves. Yesterday when I picked Addie up, one of the girls had put a little piggy tail in her hair. I see the caregivers playing/doing the little girls hair quite often. Addison comes home with little art projects every week, and they also have holiday parties, play outside, etc. They try their best to handle the care of each child with the parents wishes in mind. There is a list of the foods they serve and I check off which ones Addie can eat. Many of the girls working there are there because they love playing and taking care of the kids, and many of them have or are taking child development courses. I'm very happy with my daycare, even though no one could ever do everything exactly like I(mommy) would. I feel comfortable with my daughter where she is. I would love to stay home with her, but that just wouldn't work for us right now. Addie enjoys playing with the kids, she doesn't cry when I drop her off, just immediately goes off to play, and when I pick her up, she gives me the biggest smile because she is ready to spend quality time with mommy. I'm fortunate that she is only a couple miles from where I work too, so I can stop in and see her at lunch if I want. Not everyone can be a full time stay at home mom, but I do admire the ones that can, because I know that is a full time job itself.

Our Family said...

I just read your post. I have to say I wasn't suprised by most of it. I have worked at several day care centers and have seen that same treatment and sometimes worse. I worked at a government funded head start program that I saw an employee pinching the back side of a childs arm. I reported it to the director and the women was given a warning. I think her warning was "don't pinch kids in front of Jessica". A small percentage of workers do seem to care and love the children they are watching but a MUCH larger percentage will smile and act fake when the parents are around and as soon as they leave the horns grow. I could go on and on, but I'll end with.... If dad is around and has a job, a mothers place is in the home.

Jeanna said...

Thanks so much for posting this! It was an encouragement to me to be thankful to the Lord for allowing me to be my kids mom. Some days having 3 little ones and expecting a 4th while homeschooling are tough, but this reminded me of why I do it. God does not give us children so that we can pay someone else to raise them, even when doing so requires tremendous sacrifice. What a blessing to love and train my children to serve the Lord! It breaks my heart that some little children do not feel the love and security of their mommies all the time. What a precious gift I have been given!